Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Wreckage of Reason"

"Wreckage of Reason" contains short stories that are emotionally deep. Each character seems to struggle with an internal conflict. For example, in "The Blue Girl" written by Laurie Foos, there was a clear conflict between the mother and daughter and the secrets that they both kept from each other. In addition, several other characters in this short story seemed to keep secrets from each other as well. Specifically from their personal life right down to the ingredients they used to create their half-moon pies.

Reading the various stories in this book was rather mind boggling. When I finished reading one I almost felt like holy cow, what in the world just happened. They were rather deep and I almost felt like I was being sucked down into a black hole. In another words, it felt like drama city. An example of this is found in "More than Winter or Spring" by Jessica Treat. In this short story the two girls have a love-hate relationship. The one character hated being with the other girl because she was mean. But she continued to hang out with her because she did not have any other friends. One thing I found interesting about this short story was how the author made your mind think. Specifically the scene with the girls father. What exactly the father might have been doing in the middle of the night we will never know. But, the way she wrote it make the reader think about it even after she has moved on in the story.

The final short story that really caught my attention was "New York/LA Whirlwind Romance" by Karen Lillis. This story is an emotional rollar coaster. Part one was about basically what he said to lure her in to have sex with her. From telling her she was beautiful to how much he loved her already. Lillis really flipped the table in part two. Part two, is where the characters met and he expressed his dissatisfaction in women. Right down to her periods every month and how disappointment was inevitable. While reading this story I was actually shaking my head because some men are so typical of this. After reading it, I told myself that is why you have such high standards and thank God, my boyfriend is not like that!

1 comment: