I think many of us forget how great our lives really are. Sometimes it feels like the world is never enough. No matter how much positive surrounds us, we always managed to find the worst. Why is this? Do we seek attention? Did we never feel loved as a child? I see this in people every day. They spend so much time making things a struggle and wanting perfection.
Perfection. This word is almost evil. As a teenager, I remember wanting the perfect hair, skin and makeup. Now, I cannot help but laugh at those silly naive thoughts. Nothing in this world is perfect. On page 38, of Fluorescence, written by Jennifer Dick, she does a wonderful job describing the little things in life that we always torture ourselves with on a daily basis. For example "because your nose is too long, hips too large, eyes the wrong color...." This is very true. All of us are guilty of wanting to alter the features of our bodies.
I love every line in this poem. Each line made me laugh because it is so true of our lives. Why do we torture ourselves? Instead of being negative about a parking ticket, why is it that we cannot just shrug it off and laugh? I think the answer to all of these questions is that we are human. We desire the things we cannot have and we want whatever the person next to us has. For some reason, we think the grass is greener on the other side, when in fact it is just as green where we are standing. What I take away from this poem is that we need to enjoy and be thankful for what we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment