Emily Dickinson: Love, hurt and life. These three words capture the meaning of poem 374 by Emily Dickinson. The feelings behind this piece are phenomenal. From her sensory language describing the heart, i.e. "the heart has narrow Banks", to describing the hurt we feel i.e. "Till Hurricanes bisect" when dealing with a troubling issues. While reading this poem I could feel the hurt and love she tried to describe. I think anyone who has every been in love feels what she is trying relay to the reader.
Further, the structure is interesting. She capitalized several words such as "Heart", and "Calm". The meaning behind this is a mystery. Each capitalization, in each line is located roughly in the middle or end. There seems to be no pattern at all to this style of writing.
Finally, there are only a few concrete images that I was able to gather. The first that stood out to me was "narrow Banks". Next, the "unattempted Gauze" and finally the "Hurricane". All of these items seems concrete to my mind. :) Finally, the last thing I noticed was that unattemped is not a word.
Natalie Goldberg: Overlooking a fact can ultimately cost you a case. Therefore, I agree with "The Power of Detail". No matter what, details are very important to any writing. It sets the facts straight and allows for those dark areas to be brought to light. I think the way Natalie Goldberg described it, was enlightening yet true. " Our details are important. Otherwise, if they are not, we can drop a bomb and it doesn't matter" (p 43). Even in the legal field, attorney's are always telling their paralegals to get the facts. The facts are essential to settling a case. This is probably one of the most important chapters of her books because the little things really do mean a lot. Therefore, writing down the little details can make all the difference in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment