Poetry to me, is a way for people to express their emotions and view points. I would compare it to tattoos. People get tattoos because they like the way they look and it also serves as a meaning to their lives, personality etc. Poetry acts in the very same way. People express themselves through writing in various shapes and forms. These styles can arrange from derange sonnets about the love of their life, to poems that have absolutely no style or structure. For example, Shakespeare, Mullen, Berrigan, Wetherington, and Hinako Abe all have different writing styles and structures. Granted, they come from different time periods, but it is important to note that every poet writes differently. I really have come to believe that there is really not set way to write poetry.
After thinking about how poems are made and looking at what I wrote above, I believe there is no set way to make a poem. There are styles people generally follow, but it seems they are only used as a reference. For the most part poems are composed of the same elements. By this I mean that they are written with the use of metaphors, similes, contain ambiguities (at times) and sensory details. However, the way poets organize and arrange words and lines is truly amazing.
So far, I have learned that poems are rather complex. There is more thought that goes into them that most people would think. Between deciding how to structure the poem and deciding its content makes for quite the challenge. Further, I have come to believe that no matter how many time you read or look at poems, there is always more to learn about them. It is quite fascinating how much one can really take away from such a topic.
good, maybe use more examples, but well-done nonetheless.
ReplyDelete